- The companies’ goals are aligned with those of the UN’s Sustainable Development Agenda 2030 which seeks to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice and tackle climate change, without leaving anyone behind.
- The initial donation will be for MXN 218,201.63.
- More than 70 children in the Nicolás Bravo and Benito Juárez primary schools, in Sandovales and El Moquete respectively, will be the first to benefit.
- The Community Investment Plan signed by both companies is part of an Environmental & Social Management System (ESMS) for the area with short, medium and long-term goals focusing mainly on education, which will be reviewed every year.
- Cubico and ALTEN America are supporting and reinforcing their links with the El Llano community, with which they have been in close contact for the two years that their photovoltaic projects in the area have been under construction.
- The Solem I and Solem II power plants have a combined capacity of 350 MWp which will generate renewably sourced energy to supply electricity to over 100,000 homes in Mexico.
- These projects have created more than 600 new local jobs, with peaks of 1,500 workers during the construction phase, most of them people from El Llano.
Mexico-Aguascalientes-Palo Alto 25th April 2019.- Cubico Sustainable Investments (”Cubico”) and ALTEN America have signed a Community Investment Plan for the short, medium and long term focusing primarily on education, that will be reviewed every year, with the purpose of improving the living standards of the Mexican population living in the El Llano-Palo Alto municipality, in Aguascalientes State.
This Community Investment Plan is part of both companies’ Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategies, given that they intend to continue supporting the population of El Llano, as its inhabitants have supported them, during the period of close to two years that both companies have been involved in the construction of two photovoltaic plants in the area. The local population continues to support them during the commissioning of these plants.
Over 70 children study in the Nicolás Bravo and Benito Juárez primary schools in Sandovales and El Moquete, and they will be the first to benefit from Cubico and ALTEN America’s Community Investment Plan, with an initial donation of MXN 218,201.63, which will be spent this year on making a series of improvements in both centres.
Specifically, the students at Nicolás Bravo School in Sandovales will have repairs done on the electrical wiring and the drinking fountains, and to the ceilings, lavatories and doors of the bathrooms, as well as the stationery cupboards. Benito Juárez School in El Moquete will be able to offer its students upgrades in the playgrounds, new flooring, improved green spaces, repainted assembly rooms, benches and stationery cupboards.
The Mayor of Palo Alto, Engineer Ramiro Salas Pizaña, has expressed his satisfaction with this initiative and is backing the involvement of both companies, whose goals, within their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy, are aligned with those of the UN’s Sustainable Development Agenda 2030 which seeks to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice and tackle climate change, without leaving anyone behind.
The Solem I and Solem II photovoltaic plants, with a combined capacity of 350 MWp, will generate renewably sourced energy to supply electricity to over 100,000 homes in Mexico. During the construction phase, more than 600 new jobs were created, with peaks of 1,500 workers, most of them local people from El Llano.
About Cubico Sustainable Investments
Founded in May 2015, Cubico Sustainable Investments is a major investor in the renewable energy sector. Cubico’s global portfolio in nine countries has an installed gross capacity of approximately 2.6 GW. The company has a presence in different geographic locations, including the United States, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia and Uruguay. Cubico is headquartered in London and has offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Fortaleza (Brazil), Milan (Italy), Stamford (US), Mexico City (Mexico), Madrid (Spain), Lyon (France), Sydney (Australia) and Montevideo (Uruguay).
About ALTEN America
ALTEN America, part of the ALTEN Energías Renovables group, is an Independent Power Producer (IPP), specialising in solar photovoltaic technology, with offices in the Netherlands, Spain, Kenya, Nigeria, Mexico and Namibia, and a team with great expertise in the development, financing, construction and operation of PV power plants in competitive environments. The company has completed the construction of a 350 MWp plant in Mexico, awarded in the country’s second electricity tender in 2016. Through its subsidiary in Africa, ALTEN Africa, it has completed construction on a 45,5MWp PV plant in Namibia and is currently completing the financing of 55 MWp PV plant in Kenya. It is developing a 120 MWp project in Nigeria with a PPA (power purchase agreement) signed off with the country’s electricity provider NBET Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading and is on the shortlist for several projects around sub-Saharan Africa. ALTEN also has an extensive pipeline of projects, with over 900 MW at various stages of development in Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa.